Ответ: MDEV: regexps

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Mar 29 15:12:16 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> You see, udevd+udevadm (205kB) is half the size of the whole BB on my
> system, Mike!

there is no need for udevadm at runtime ... udevd is only 80k on my system,
and i imagine you could easily get that down.

> Plus udev configuration is becoming way verbose.

udev configuration allows for everything.  besides, what exactly are you
proposing we do with mdev ?  oh right, make it more verbose.

> That is why I want to enrich mdev functionality instead of using vanilla
> udev.

then you're simply recreating what udev already does, except udev does it so
much better.  shrinking udev is a better and certainly more maintainable
goal.

> What to using a helper script it lacks too much information of the
> node being created: just setting MDEV to the name of device is
> insufficient to make useful generic scripts. These scripts then have
> to pull additional info reading /sys again and again but not so
> efficiently as mdev itself could...

the helper script has exactly the same information available to it via the
environment that mdev has.  anything you could do with mdev, you can do with
the helper script.
-mike