swapon: swapfile has holes - blocksize ?

Jonathan Moore Jonathan.Moore at ubidyne.com
Wed Mar 26 13:43:04 UTC 2008

I'm trying to setup a simple swapfile, using the commands shown below.

I'm having trouble with swapon. I've read some previous posting regarding blocksize, but I've not been able to determine if this is an issue requiring a fix. Should this be expected with BusyBox version 1.7.1, ppc32 ? I've tried various blocksizes, but still the hole issue remains.

~ $ cd /var/tmp/
/var/tmp $ dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=20
20+0 records in
20+0 records out
/var/tmp $ ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 root     0        20971520 Jan  2 04:51 swapfile
/var/tmp $ mkswap swapfile
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 20967424 bytes
/var/tmp $ swapon swapfile
swapon: swapfile has holes
swapon: swapfile: Invalid argument
/var/tmp $ swapon -help
swapon: invalid option -- h
BusyBox v1.7.1 (2007-10-20 05:29:18 CEST) multi-call binary

Usage: swapon [-a] [DEVICE]

Start swapping virtual memory pages on DEVICE

        -a      Start swapping on all swap devices

/var/tmp $

Thanks for your time,
Jon.

Ubidyne GmbH