bbsplash applet

Michele Sanges michele.sanges at otomelara.it
Wed Mar 5 13:24:24 UTC 2008

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

As has been said by others, the ppm is already a raw format (it has only
a small header) with three bytes for pixel (RGB).
Generally the framebuffer is set to 16 bits per pixel, with data
packaged in 565 format.

Il giorno mar, 04/03/2008 alle 09.54 -0500, Paul Fox ha scritto:
> no -- there is no reason for the box to have to interpret image
> formats at boot time, and you shouldn't force busybox bloat this
> way.
>
> you should replace ppm with just one image format -- a raw binary
> format that exactly matches the framebuffer format.
>
> your code that loads the fb should move into a separate utility
> that creates such a file.  then the raw splash images can be
> generated offline.  and your boot-time code could perhaps be
> reduced to "dd <file >/dev/fb0".

I thought that was useful convert the ppm data runtime in order to be
independent from other tools.

Before changing further the code I would like a confirmation that I must
remove the function that performs the conversion between ppm and the
framebuffer format.
In addition, it should be created an applet that performs this
conversion or we rely on external tools?

Regards.
Michele