bunzip2 failure

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 30 07:35:38 UTC 2008

On Saturday 28 June 2008 13:18:22 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> BTW, is Firmware Linux capable of producing a bootable system for blackfin?
> If not, do you want me to try fixing that?

It is not, and feel free to bang on it if you like.

I poked at blackfin a bit last year, but ran into two problems:

1) There's no blackfin emulator (certainly not in qemu),

2) gcc 4.1.2 didn't have all the blackfin patches merged at the time.  (They
kept saying it was a todo item, and telling me to download a blackfin version
of gcc.  Since half the point of the project is to build as many different
architectures as possible from the same source and get them to work the same
way, that would be a "no".)

They've probably fixed it in 4.3.  It's a todo item for when I upgrade
gcc/binutils.

I've stayed at 4.1.2 as long as I have because I haven't gotten arm soft-float
to work with --disable-shared (or static linking) with anything newer.
Unfortunately, gcc 4.x only puts the soft float code into libgcc_s.so, and
not in libgcc.a.  Combining libgcc_s.so with cross compiling is brittle and
easily broken, and with static linking is _insane_, so I
just --disable-shared which says use libgcc.a for everything on the cross
compiler.

I have a working patch to fix it for gcc 4.1.2, but I gave up on my last
attempt at upgrading (moving to gcc 4.2.2) after a _week_ of trying to get it
to work.

According to my blog ( http://landley.net/notes-2007.html#12-08-2007 ) I got
farther telling gcc to build bfin-elf instead of bfin-linux, but I vaguely
recall that disabled something in the headers which some other package needed
to build itself.  (It's been long enough I've forgotten the details.  If
you're honestly interested I can give it another try and see what breaks...)

Really, "it's not in qemu" is what's kept me from paying more attention to it.
I have m68k, sh4, and alpha pending with at least partial qemu support if I
feel like poking at other architectures.  Plus arm big endian, fixing that
one bug in sparc, 64 bit powerpc...

  - Ken Thompson.