ping illegal instruction error in buidroot with busybox

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:04:01 UTC 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 20:23, Ram kumar wrote:
> hi,
>          I have built the filesystem with buildroot snapshot.When i connect
> my arm AT91SAM9260 target and type a ping command in the console it says
> illegal instruction.My ifconfig,modprobe,hostname all are working fine.But
> iam not able to use ping command.

You need to find out the exact address of this instruction.
I don't have an example handy, but on Internet you can find
the C code of a SIGILL handler which reports the address
of failing instruction and exits.

Then just run

$TARGET-objdump -dr busybox_unstripped

and find in _which function_ it happens.

Run "make networking/ping.s" and generate assembler output,
and find failing instruction in ping.s

Then post collected information to the list.
--
vda