SENDMAIL

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 04:39:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:37:45 +0000
"Vladimir Dronnikov" <dronnikov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Natanael!
>
> You mentioned you can not use BB sendmail because of
> incompatibilities. Wouldn't you describe them more verbosely so we
> could fix them?

oh yes, sorry. Been busy with other things lately.

I definitively think those issues should be fixed and the busybox applet look very useful.

basicly, what I need is that scripts that use busybox sendmail will continue work if either ssmtp, postfix or sendmail are installed on the system and overwrites the busybox's sendmail symlink.

I suggest the following:

Usage: sendmail [-a attachment] [-a ...] [-c charset] [-f sender]
		[-H server[:port]] [-i] [-n] [-P password] [-s subject]
		[-t] [-U user][-w timeout] [-X] rcpt...

Send an email.

	-a		Attatchment(s)
	-c charset	Assumed charset for body and subject [utf-8]
	-f sender	Envelope sender
	-H server[:port] Use this smtp server
	-i		Ignored
	-n		Request delivery notification to sender
	-P password
	-s subject	Subject
	-t 		Read sender and recepient from mail header
	-U username	Authenticate with specified username/password
	-X		Use openssl connection helper for secured servers
	-w timeout	Set timeout on network operations

The mail is read from stdin.

path to sendmail should be /usr/sbin/sendmail

The work will be the -t option which parses the mail header from mail and set the sender/rcpt address from there. This is probably the most important feature for compat.

The -i option means that a single '.' in a mail should not close the mail. This should be default behaviour. Maybe an -o option could be there too (I have seen -oi) but i dont think thats neccesary.

If -H is not specified, require sever from environment variable or config file.

I am in doubt about the -U and -n options as they crashes with postfix's and sendmail's sendmail but i dont think that is a problem really.

http://downloads.openwrt.org/people/nico/man/man8/ssmtp.8.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/man/sendmail.html
http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

Thanks alot!