"Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory"

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:18:47 UTC 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 16:19, Juliana Su wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for your quick responses. Yes, /etc/init.d/rcS does exist and it
> is executable.

I doubt it is executable at that point. It is a script, right?
Does its "#!/path/to/interpreter" line point to existing (at that point)
executable? Can that executable actually be executed (at that point)?
For example, it might require a library somewhere in /usr/lib,
and if /usr is not mounted yet....

> I even removed the original rcS and created a new
> executable one to do a simple echo and exit, like Hinko suggested, but I
> still get the "Bummer" error. At first, I had actually forgotten to set
> the execute bit on the new rcS and received a "Bummer, could not run
> '/etc/init.d/rcS': Permission denied" error. I fixed that, though, by
> doing a chmod 755 on it. By the way, I am using an older version of
> BusyBox, version 1.2.1 to be exact.

How to debug: boot with init=/bin/sh,
and try to run /etc/init.d/rcS by hand from resulting shell prompt.
Does it work?
--
vda