"Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory"

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:01:08 UTC 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 12:32, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> Juliana Su wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is anybody familiar with the "Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS':
> > No such file or directory" error message?

You run busybox older than 1.3.0, The message is coming from here:

                /* Now run it.  The new program will take over this PID,
                 * so nothing further in init.c should be run. */
                execv(cmdpath, cmd);

                /* We're still here?  Some error happened. */
                message(LOG | CONSOLE, "Bummer, could not run '%s': %m", cmdpath);
                _exit(-1);
        }

Obviously, /etc/init.d/rcS does not exist at that moment.
--
vda