"Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory"

Juliana Su js084 at bucknell.edu
Thu Jun 26 10:16:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

Is anybody familiar with the "Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS':
No such file or directory" error message?

Here's the last bit of my kernel boot log:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k init
Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

MontaVista PPC Embedded Linux 2.4.26
(none) login:
Password:
Login incorrect
(none) login: root
login[14]: unable to determine TTY name,
MontaVista PPC Embedded Linux 2.4.26

I'm trying to mount a RFS on a Virtex-II Pro ML310 board. I'm using
BusyBox, as well as a modified version of Klingauf's mkrootfs script
(that worked for somebody else). Let me know if you would like me to
provide more information. Even if you just have a suggestion of where
the source of the problem may be, that would be great. Thanks!

-Juliana