start-stop daemon regession

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Fri Jun 20 15:04:59 UTC 2008

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008 15:55, walter harms wrote:
>> hello list,
>> we tested BB 10.3 and found a regression from 10.1
>>
>> does not work with 10.3
>>  start-stop-daemon --start --exec /sbin/syslogd
>>  /sbin/syslogd already running
>>  220
>
> Is it caused by http://busybox.net/downloads/fixes-1.10.1/busybox-1.10.1-ssd.patch ?
> IOW: what happens if you revert it?
>
> I expect that it well may _still_ not work as intended,
> with or without that patch.
>

> There were more work in ssd, for example:
>
> Revision 22002  - (view) (download) (as text) - [select for diffs]
> Modified Sun May 18 14:17:52 2008 PDT (4 weeks, 4 days ago) by vda
> File length: 12066 byte(s)
> Diff to previous 21976 (colored)
>
> start_stop_daemon: add -test, fix -x to not match by inode,
> vastly improve hext text. (mostly by Roy Marples <roy AT marples.name>)
>
> function                                             old     new   delta
> packed_usage                                       24124   24190     +66
> start_stop_daemon_main                               959     991     +32
> start_stop_daemon_longopts                           149     156      +7
> check                                               1632    1589     -43
> (add/remove: 0/0 grow/shrink: 3/1 up/down: 105/-43)            Total: 62 bytes
>
> http://busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/busybox/debianutils/start_stop_daemon.c?rev=22002&r1=21976&r2=22002&diff_format=h
>

> Can you test current svn? If that works, we can just go ahead and backport it.

hi denis,
yep that is what we have done. we just replaced the 10.3 version with the svn version.
at least no more daemons can be started :)
FYI: while testing we note something odd, when a daemon is killed sometimes all shells
also gets closed. This is new.
Unfortunately the guy who found the bug is home, so we will continue testing on monday.

should we still test the busybox-1.10.1-ssd.patch ?

re,
 wh