MODPROBE: next generation

dronnikov at gmail.com dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:50:32 UTC 2008

Made a proof-of-concept patch. It replaces standard depmod+modprobe sweet pair
if config option "simplified modutils" is checked. 1482 octets in size for both (debug statements commented out).

Uses the following format of modules.dep (draft 2)

Consider a module named X located at P which depends on Y and Z,
has aliases X1 and X2 and must be loaded with options O1 and O2.
We could write this definition down as follows:
-------
X X1 X2
Y Z
P O1 O2
-------
If any of parts of definition is missed we simply use empty line as placeholder.

modprobe by the moment can only load modules and runs in verbose mode to help debugging.

Please, do find time to try and test!

TIA,
--
Vladimir