Ответ: MODPROBE: modules.dep with bundled aliases

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:07:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 06:58:24PM +0000, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
>BB depmod has ability to dump alias= definitions to modules.dep. When
>I later run BB modprobe which uses modules.dep which was generated
>with BB depmod (which has dumped alias= definitions :) I get SEGV.
>Modprobe indeed has alias support. Wrong is the way modprobe treats
>some alias definitions (which contain ":") as if they were
>dependencies definitions which in turn use ":" as the delimiter too!
>I'll send a quick and dirty patch in separate.

Ah, i see. modprobe tries to use a separate file for the aliases! How
odd.

I was tricked into putting the aliases into the same file since i only
looked at the output of
$ depmod -n /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_cs.ko
/lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/parport/parport_cs.ko:
# pci module         vendor     device     subvendor  subdevice  class
# class_mask driver_data
# usb module         match_flags idVendor idProduct bcdDevice_lo
# bcdDevice_hi bDeviceClass bDeviceSubClass bDeviceProtocol
# bInterfaceClass bInterfaceSubClass bInterfaceProtocol driver_info
# ccw module         match_flags cu_type cu_model dev_type dev_model
# ieee1394 module    match_flags vendor_id model_id specifier_id version
# isapnp module      cardvendor carddevice driver_data vendor
# function   ...
# module         matchBits bustype vendor product version evBits keyBits
# relBits absBits mscBits ledBits sndBits ffBits [swBits] driver_info
# of module          name                 type
# compatible
# serio module       type extra id   proto
# Aliases extracted from modules themselves.
alias pcmcia:m*c*f03fn*pfn*pa*pb*pc*pd* parport_cs
alias pcmcia:m0137c0003f*fn*pfn*pa*pb*pc*pd* parport_cs
# Aliases for symbols, used by symbol_request().

Perhaps it would be saner to just teach modprobe to grock alias info
everywhere and not just in a separate
"/lib/modules/%s/modules.alias", un.release

Yann, what do you think?