"building toolchain" wiki

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Jun 5 09:17:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 05 June 2008, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=toolchain:buildscript
>
> It says the following. My comments are with ===>, they mark
> the questions I've got while reading the page which I had no answers for.
> Can it be updated? (I tried editing it, it seems to be locked for editing).

the wiki at docs.b.u.o only allows writing to people who ask and are granted
permission.  that keeps the spammers at bay, keeps the less knowledgeable
from entering incorrect info, and allows us to make sure copyright/licensing
is in our domain.

> ===> Great, I want to download source of toolchain and kernel.
> ===> Where I can do it? URLs?

the wiki operates with the implicit knowledge that all of the source code
lives on blackfin.u.o.  when you visit that site, the frontpage has links to
all the places.  but i'll toss in links at the top.

> ===> I went to http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/toolchain/frs/
> ===> and downloaded blackfin-toolchain-08r1-8.src.tar.gz
> ===> It has no ./BuildToolChain, only buildscript.tar.bz2 (among others)
> ===> with blackfin-toolchain-08r1/* (including BuildToolChain script)
> inside. ===> Should I unpack buildscript.tar.bz2? Or should I unpack all
> *.tar.bz2? ===> Should I copy BuildToolChain to the top directory
> ===> (as implied by ./BuildToolChain above) or I can run it
> ===> inside blackfin-toolchain-08r1 dir?

the src tarball is a little out of tune with how things are organized in svn.
i blame bernd ;).  you'll probably have to unpack all the archives and take
it from there.  generally people dont actually build the src tarball from a
release because the binaries already exist.  they do however frequently build
from svn ...
-mike