Does mdev support ataraid cciss ida??

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Jul 26 17:27:46 UTC 2008

From:           	Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
To:             	busybox at busybox.net
Subject:        	Re: Does mdev support ataraid cciss ida??
Date sent:      	Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:04:44 +0200
Copies to:      	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>

> On Friday 25 July 2008 22:53, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I don't have any of these raid systems, but in the past users of my g4l project
> > had this hardware, and it required creating these directories and a very large
> > number of nods to support various configurations. The previous maintainer
> > had /dev hardcoded with tons of nods as well. I was replace this to just a few
> > now, and use busybox mdev to create the necessary ones, but I know that if
> > the busybox mdev would do the same for these and possible other
> > hardware.
>
> What was your question?

Will busybox created nods for special raid devices like ida, ataraid, and
cciss?

The g4l project I now maintain originally had the /dev directory populated
with something like 680 hardcoded nods. This because the hardware that it
would be run on was unknow. In addition, I had users that reported that
there systems were not recognized, and it was discovered that they needed
these subdirectories of /dev to contain nodes for them to work correctly.

In this case the following info.
/dev/ida has 2048 nods c0d0 thru c7d9p9.
/dev/ataraid has 256 c0d0 thru c0d9p9
/dev/cciss has 256 c0d0 thru c0d9p9

If I recall these were all created by scripts I found on the web to manual
create the correct nods. I got some replies that it then worked.

With version 0.25 of g4l, I converted the /dev to use busybox mdex, and
reduced the contents of /dev to:
console
/pts
/vc
/ataraid
/ida
/cciss

Unfortunately, I have none of these devices to see if mdev does create the
directories and nods. The g4l project usually has between 300 - 400
downloads per day from sourceforge and freshmeat sites according to the
statics (unfortunately sourceforge's statistics are down at the moment). Don't
get a lot of feed-back unless something doesn't work.

So, options are.
1. Just leave the directories and all nods as is. tar of ida directory was 1.1M
2. Delete the directories without knowing if mdev supports them, and see if
someone has a problem, and then put them back.
3. Confirm that mdev should created them, and remove directories.

Thanks again for the time and effort..

> --
> vda

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,025,550.2382 | EINSTEIN 1,853,681.7243 | ROSETTA
559,261.1924