mount with ntfs partition question.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Jul 25 03:28:11 UTC 2008

From:           	Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
To:             	busybox at busybox.net
Subject:        	Re: mount with ntfs partition question.
Date sent:      	Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:57:37 +0200
Copies to:      	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 17:10, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > When I use the busybox mount to mount an ntfs partition it says it is
> > mounted in rw mode, but attempts to write result in permission denied.
> >
> > busybox mount /dev/hda6
>
> This form of command uses fstab to figure out how to mount /dev/hda6
>
> > busybox mount output
> >
> > rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> > /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
> > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
> > /dev/hda6 on /mnt/local type ntfs
> > (rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=default,errors=continue,mft_zo
> > ne_multiplier=1)
>
> It mounted it as ntfs filesystem. Last I checked, kernel's
> ntfs driver is RO. (But I checked that long time ago).
>
> Today my crystal ball is dim. Please post your /etc/fstab
> (or at least the line which configures /dev/hda6 mount).

This is a boot cd, so the fstab doesn't so much.
/dev/ram0	/		ext2	rw 0 0
proc                 /proc                proc      rw 0 0

It boots via syslinux, and loads the kernel and ramdisk.gz.

> > I would also get a similar issue if I used the regular mount command from
> > Fedora.
>
> You mean just "mount /dev/hda6"?

I mean mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/local
With just the Fedora 8 mount program it also showed rw, but writes failed.
Adding the varous mount.xxx files from /sbin command it would work or by
using ntfs-3g /dev/hda6 /mnt/local would also work.

> > If I used ntfs-3g or if I use the regular mount command with the
> > mount.xxx helper files from /sbin it mount and is rw allowed.
> >
> > mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/local
> > or
> > ntfs-3g /dev/hda6 /mnt/local
> >
> > /dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
> > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
> > /dev/hda6 on /mnt/local type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)
>
> This seems to be a FUSE mount. Interesting how "mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/local"
> understood that. It should not consult fstab in the case where two args are given.

It didn't understand it until I added those mount helper files. Before that only
using ntfs-3g to mount the partition would give rw access.

> > Is there something that needs to be done with busybox to get the rw.
>
> More info needed.
>
> Please provide full, unabridged strace output of both failing
> and successful command(s):

The solution that fixed the problem was adding ntfs-3g in the /etc/filesystem
file in front of the ntfs line. Then the busybox mount did mount it with the
fuse driver.

> strace -o cmd1.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd1...
> strace -o cmd2.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd2...
> strace -o cmd3.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd3...
>
> You will need to tar.bz2 logfiles in order to fit into mailing list
> posting limit.
>
> Also tell your versions of busybox and "standard" mount.
> --
> vda

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,025,550.2382 | EINSTEIN 1,853,681.7243 | ROSETTA
559,261.1924