mount with ntfs partition question.

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:57:37 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008 17:10, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> When I use the busybox mount to mount an ntfs partition it says it is
> mounted in rw mode, but attempts to write result in permission denied.
>
> busybox mount /dev/hda6

This form of command uses fstab to figure out how to mount /dev/hda6

> busybox mount output
>
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
> /dev/hda6 on /mnt/local type ntfs
> (rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=default,errors=continue,mft_zo
> ne_multiplier=1)

It mounted it as ntfs filesystem. Last I checked, kernel's
ntfs driver is RO. (But I checked that long time ago).

Today my crystal ball is dim. Please post your /etc/fstab
(or at least the line which configures /dev/hda6 mount).

> I would also get a similar issue if I used the regular mount command from
> Fedora.

You mean just "mount /dev/hda6"?

> If I used ntfs-3g or if I use the regular mount command with the
> mount.xxx helper files from /sbin it mount and is rw allowed.
>
> mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/local
> or
> ntfs-3g /dev/hda6 /mnt/local
>
> /dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
> /dev/hda6 on /mnt/local type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)

This seems to be a FUSE mount. Interesting how "mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/local"
understood that. It should not consult fstab in the case where two args are given.

> Is there something that needs to be done with busybox to get the rw.

More info needed.

Please provide full, unabridged strace output of both failing
and successful command(s):

strace -o cmd1.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd1...
strace -o cmd2.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd2...
strace -o cmd3.log -f -tt -s 999 cmd3...

You will need to tar.bz2 logfiles in order to fit into mailing list
posting limit.

Also tell your versions of busybox and "standard" mount.
--
vda