help text on a "choice" entry isn't displayable

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 17 18:22:51 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 13:14, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   just an observation that any help text associated with a "choice"
> entry in a Config.in isn't currently displayable while you're doing a
> "make menuconfig".
>
>   for example, in Config.in, you have:
>
> choice
>         prompt "Buffer allocation policy"
>         default FEATURE_BUFFERS_USE_MALLOC
>         help
>           There are 3 ways BusyBox can handle buffer allocations:
>           - Use malloc. This costs code size for the call to xmalloc.
>           - Put them on stack. For some very small machines with limited stack
>             space, this can be deadly.  For most folks, this works just fine.
>           - Put them in BSS. This works beautifully for computers with a real
>             MMU (and OS support), but wastes runtime RAM for uCLinux. This
>             behavior was the only one available for BusyBox versions 0.48 and
>             earlier.
>
> config FEATURE_BUFFERS_USE_MALLOC
>         bool "Allocate with Malloc"
>
> ... etc etc ...

I think that there are two sensible approaches to build system:

1. overhaul it, removing all kernel-related unused parts
 or
2. leave it alone, do only fixes for real problems

If you are inclined to choose road #1, it's ok.

I for the time being have more pressing needs (improving hush
and fixing testsuite failures, of which we have plenty),
and as long as build system works ok, I can live
with that cruft inside it.

If somebody will post patches, that will be interesting.
--
vda