"mdev -s" fails to create /dev entries

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 12 04:44:44 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 13:39:40 Holland, John wrote:
> That is when you stay within /sys/class or /sys/block. Operating on the
> whole of /sys and following non-symlinks only will and does find all dev
> files reliably (don't know about the above mentioned loop devices).

Ok, I'll bite.  If you look under /sys/devices for "dev" nodes, how do you
tell if you've got a char device or a block device?  (I'd really like to
know.)

(This is glossing over the fact that searching through an arbitrarily
large /sys tree could be very slow on certain systems, and a lot of embedded
stuff is using 100 mhz processors and such, and prefer mdev to udev for the
_speed_ as much as for the memory savings.)

  - Ken Thompson.