mdev scan

Holland, John John.Holland at cellent-fs.de
Tue Jul 8 08:45:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

>Please give specific examples of the nodes which are not found.
>Full path, which path components are links, etc.
>
>Specify your kernel version and post kernel's config.gz

Thanks for forcing me to look at the live 2.6.13.1 kernel I have here again.

The bugger isn't producing any dev files on the usb endpoints, only the modalias
files. It's been tainted with a proprietary ahci-hcd usb module to which I have
no source access.

>> My problem is that some dev files are too deep in the /sys tree to be caught
>> by the default mdev definition. When I increase the maximum depth to say 5, I
>> have problems with circular recursion.
>
>You mean that some devices are found twice?
Yes... It seems only the symlinks are revealing the dev files multiple times.

Although the source of my problem has been found, I'd like to see the patch I
posted get applied. It seems more straight forward as the default implementation.
And if they move symlinks around in sysfs again, we wouldn't need to change the mdev
interface. It also seems to shave a few bytes, while appearently producing the
same results (well at least on my 2.6.19 kernel).

Cellent Finance Solutions AG

Firmensitz: Calwer Straße 33, 70173 Stuttgart
Vorstand: Thomas Wild
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Rudolf Zipf