BusyBox 1.11.0 man patch for "cat"

Jason Curl jcurlnews at arcor.de
Sat Jul 5 09:02:40 UTC 2008

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 09:55, Jason Curl wrote:
>> The diff is applied, generated with "diff -au source modified".
>>
>> So, I have
>> /share/man/cat1
>> /share/man/man1
>>
>> It searches first in the "cat" pages and if it isn't found, then searches in the "man" pages. I'm sure there could be some optimisations made....
>>

> I am applying your patch after fixing whitespace.
> I also discovered that it is not against current svn.
> Next time, please make a diff against svn, ok?
> --
> vda

I've checked your fix Denys and it also works (I don't get segfaults
anymore). I've taken the code from my second patch, checked it against
the latest snapshot and found I can reduce the size of man a bit more by
removing the two instances of the format string when generating the man
filename. I think the code is much more cryptic, but it's a small piece.

function                                             old     new   delta
man_main                                             732     802     +70
show_manpage                                         111       -    -111
(add/remove: 0/1 grow/shrink: 1/0 up/down: 70/-111)           Total: -41
bytes
1369158    2493   19292 1390943  15395f busybox_old
1369117    2493   19292 1390902  153936 busybox_unstripped

Thanks,
Jason.