busybox ping not able to reach public IP

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Tue Jul 1 23:23:55 UTC 2008

On 1 Jul 2008 at 16:15, Ram kumar wrote:

> hi,
>  I have compiled the busybox using buildroot along with filesystem for my ATMEL platform
> at91sam9260(eval kit).I also have a marvell 8686 SDIO wifi card attached to my SDIO interface.I
> use iwconfig to configure my SDIO wifi card.I also have a ethernet controller attached to the atmel
> platform......
>
> I am able to ping my default gateway(Access point) by typing............
>
> $ ping -i eth1 192.168.1.1 (-i to use my wifi interface)
>
> i get proper output......
>
> $ 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=46.315 ms
>
> But the same way when i ping any public ip like google or yahoo with their ip address....ping just
> hangs......

Did you try pinging to the ip address of google.com?
It might be a named problem rather than a ping problem.

Note: There is a problem that I don't know if it has been resolved, but at
least in the past, the named option didn't work unless some library files
where included, and they don't show up when one does ldd on busybox.

If you can ping or traceroute to the ip address but not the name, it is
probable the named issue, but I don't recall exactly what the files or where I
got the info. Currently 7 timezones away from my main computers.

> But I am able to ping both my default gateway and public ip using the ethernet......
>
> Please let me know whether i have to enable some options in the busybox to make my ping
> command work with wifi card ?
>
> Please let me know where could be the problem is ?
>
> Regards,
> Ram

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 5,856,243.972020 | EINSTEIN 1,785,763.067546 | ROSETTA
552,124.439726