udhcp discovery takes minutes

Danny Sung dsung at lantronix.com
Mon Jan 14 23:40:58 UTC 2008

I'm using udhcpc as packaged in busybox 1.9.0.  For some reason initial
discovery can sometimes take several minutes (though once in a while
it'll complete in seconds).  I had previously been using busybox 1.6.1,
which didn't have any of these problems.

Glancing at the 1.9.0 code, I should be using the default
'discover_timeout' of 3 seconds.  But I noticed that 'timeout' is
initialized as a global to 0, which would cause the select call in the
main loop (line 341) to hang forever if it never gets a reply.

Looking at my DHCP server logs, it seems my server never sees the first
discovery request.  But that would explain the hang.  I tried to set
timeout to 1 in line 22, but that doesn't appear to solve the problem.

In fact when I do a network trace, I only see packets coming out when it
finally does succeed.  So apparently I'm having strange issues even
sending out packets.  You can also tell that the "Sending discover..."
message only gets sent once and just hangs, rather than timeout out once
a second (or 3 seconds?).  Busybox 1.6.1 appears to be doing the correct
thing and sending discovers once a second until it gets something.

Anyone else encounter issues like this?
This e-mail is the property of Lantronix. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.