New applet: brctl

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:31:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:29:04PM +0100, Stefan Hellermann wrote:

>Vladimir Dronnikov schrieb:
>> Hi, list!
>>
>> Attached is the patch that adds to BB ability to manage Ethernet bridges.
>> It's a stripped down version of brctl utility from GPL
>> bridge-utils<http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge>
>> .
>> It just helped me to finish tuning of a linux gate which I wanted to be
>> controlled entirely by only BB utilities.
>> Hope it will be useful!
>
>It will be useful at least for me :) brctl from bridge-utils is very small too, but I
>think brctl should be in BB too.

Vladimir, your version was way too big.
I've implemented a stub (guess it should work fine) that is more like
i'd have expected it (see current svn):

   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
    289	     20	      0	    309	    135	networking/brctl.o.r20850
    806	      0	      0	    806	    326	networking/brctl.o.vlad-noshow

Please feel free to implement a (small) 'show' mode, ideally without
relying on sysfs but by different means (e.g. via netlink and looking if
it's a bridge; didn't look if that would work, but sysfs is nearly as
ugly as proc ;)

Others may have to say more about netlink vs. sysfs.
<fill in complaints about netlink and kernel versions here>

cheers,