-sh: can't access tty; job control turned off - busybox v1.6.0

Tallam, Sreenivas Sreenivas.Tallam at netapp.com
Sat Jan 12 02:02:18 UTC 2008

Hi All,

This has been discussed in the forum before but all of them were focused
with a busybox version lower than what I am using
So I am asking this question to the yet again, please bear with me

I am running a linux 2.6.10 kernel with a BusyBox v1.6.0.
And I see the following error on the above

My inittab, has the following enteries
# cat /etc/inittab

# Default entries for busybox init.
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::restart:/sbin/init
::askfirst:-/bin/sh
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# Start watcher if it dies.
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/watcher

I did see the FAQ on the busybox and uclibc website
http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/busybox/docs/busybox.ne
t/FAQ.html?rev=9416#job_control

But, this was working when I used linux 2.4.20 and with a BusyBox
v0.60.3
I looked at the drivers/char/tty_io.c between these two versions of
linux, and the tty_open
has not changed to that extent?

So why should I do this change now? What has changed, am I missing
something here?

Thanks for the help in advance
Sreen