Making old_e2fsprogs compile again in 1.8.2

JoSH Lehan krellan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 06:25:54 UTC 2008

I needed mke2fs and friends, so had to use old_e2fsprogs instead of e2fsprogs.

I managed to get this old_e2fsprogs directory to compile again, in
Busybox 1.8.2.

Here's how, if anybody else is interested.

1) Replace e2fsprogs directory with e2fsprogs/old_e2fsprogs directory:

mv e2fsprogs/old_e2fsprogs .
rm -rf e2fsprogs
mv old_e2fsprogs e2fsprogs

2) Apply this patch (attached):

patch -p1 < old-e2fsprogs.patch

3) It should work now:

make menuconfig
Go enable all of the "new" options in e2fsprogs
make

There's still plenty of warnings, but at least no errors.

Wow, it's bloated, no doubt about that.  I can see why it was deprecated.
On my setup, the size increase is 180480 bytes (217715 bytes unstripped)!

To gain the ability to repair and reformat filesystems on the fly,
that's acceptable for me, though.

If there's a better/cleaner way to do this, please let me know....

Josh