ps and username size

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jan 10 19:19:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 11:17:42AM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Lombard, David N wrote:
>
> > Just to be sure, this doesn't guarantee unique output.  An integer
> > string is a perfectly valid username, both on a full distro and
> > bb/uc (just tested both).
>
> Maybe a new ps option to force UIDs only instead of truncated
> usernames would sort out the confusion.  How does this sound?

Is it really worth trying to deal with this?  This was, after all,
fairly contrived.

If looking to provide compatibility w/ full versions of utilities, then
the proposed patch puts BB's ps in sync w/ the full procps release.

I'm happy enough with the current patch due to the consistency w/
procps; I was happier still with the full names and column shift, but
do understand that those trying to parse ps output are better served
with the effort to maintain column alignment.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.