Boot issues with latest Busybox and Linux Kernel (GLIBC)

Michael Bertelson michaelbertelson at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 16:40:13 UTC 2008

Thank you to the folks that helped me.  Hopefully the
line wrapping is now fixed.  If not, my apologies.

For future people's benefit, CLFS (Cross-Linux from
Scratch) has an embedded how-to guide on building
Linux from scratch using Busybox and ulibc.  I was
doing it with glibc, instead.  The guide they have
contains many errors, including an mdev.conf file that
doesn't follow proper syntax.  Cleaning this up fixed
the issue.

I found the issue when I very closely examined bootup
messages and saw a garbled line that said "mdev: bad
line 3".  I then examined the mdev.conf file, and
found a comment in the file that said if something
wasn't commented out for headless systems, it could
produce a similar error.  Of course I had commented
that out, but that didn't change the fact the file
syntax was incorrect.