Boot issues with latest Busybox and Linux Kernel (GLIBC)

Michael Bertelson michaelbertelson at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 22:07:59 UTC 2008

I'm using some of the CLFS instructions to create a Busybox GLIBC Linux system with the 2.6.23.12 kernel.  The system boots  to the init.d scripts to find that it's devices are not there, then it shuts down.  /dev/hda1 and /dev/null, as an example, it complains are not there, even though in the case of /dev/null, I manually created one.

The startup scripts actually say they are to mount the /dev, /sys, etc.  Is this the issue by chance?  Do I need an initrd or something to mount those prior to the symlink /linuxrc -> busybox is run?  I thought that was supposed to initialize the dev file system, even though I can find no documentation as to what the busybox linuxrc symlink does.

Interestingly enough, it does appear that things like the eth interfaces are actually there, since it actually says it brought up the network interface in the startup script shortly before shutting the system down.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?  I feel really close to getting this working, but I am missing some information about how the whole boot process works. I did try even setting up an initrd from scratch to run a linuxrc that should even echo statements back to me, but it didn't seem to ever echo them even though the boot statements told me it saw the ext2 initrd.  Odd.

Thank you in advance