Hush cant replace lash for my situation

Martinb_ARM_NOMMU_KISSDVD martinb at zeelandnet.nl
Fri Jan 4 19:48:54 UTC 2008

First I have to say that I need to make a small change to some file before I
can crosscompile busybox
So I will give you the exact way I compile busybox so I will not forget some
part (I’m not a skilled user so its possible I make a stupid error on the
first part)

1- decompress busybox (1.9.0) on my linux fedora
2- with make menuconfig I deselect all except the hush (config is included)
3- run the following line to compile:

 make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-uclinux-elf-
EXTRA_CFLAGS="-D__uClinux__ -DBB_NOMMU -DSKIP_STRIP=y"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-elf2flt" install

and after some time this will give me the following error:

==========
/usr/local/cross-arm/20050902/lib/gcc/arm-uclinux-elf/3.4.3/../../../../arm-
uclinux-elf/bin/ld.real: --gc-sections and -r may not be used together
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [busybox_unstripped] Fout 1
==========

4- I remove the first 3 --gc-sections i find in the /scripts/trylink
5- it now finish compiling and linking

on older versions I needed much more modifications (disable strip etc) and I
don’t think this modifications is the source of the problem, but please if
there is a more elegant way to compile please let me know

I cant really use the same config because I have to use "build busybox as
static binary" for the ARM

But if I remove that option from i386 then it compiling and running ok on my
linux

about the other questions I hope I can give the correct answer:

>Which libc do you build against?
>If it is uclibc, post uclibc .config.

I don’t really know for sure
I guess its uclibc 0.9.26
I did create the toolchain from a script I got from some developer
(I can send the buildscript if someone is interested, its 21KB)
I did include  the uclibc .config (renamed to uclibc.config)
Also the .config file (renamed to bus.config)

Some (probably unnecessary) thoughts I have about this

1- almost all the applets do work for me so its not a "simple" error in the
toolchain
2- if it is the toolchain why does the lash script does work for me (for a
active shell)
3- the hush does work for scripting , it just don’t work as a shell
4- some commands do work (like help and cd so all internal commands do work)
5- its not a "console screen problem" , all external command just give me a
new console line and just don’t get executed

I think its related to the fact I don’t have a MMU but then why I’m the only
person with this problem ?

Please give me some instruction how to give more detailed info on this issue