reboot / umount ordering

Kittlitz, Edward (Ned) nkittlitz at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Feb 12 16:10:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have trouble getting my ext3 disk filesystems unmounted during reboot.

I don't know the names of all the processes, so I don't think I can use
"killall".  And another inittab "shutdown" action "/bin/umount -a -r"
can fail on certain filesystems; I don't know why yet.

It seems to me that busybox shutdown_system() should be trying to
unmount everything after all processes have been killed.

I did some general google searching and also at busybox.net. This is an
older item with the same complaint:
   : http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2003-November/009826.html

and this external item mentions that call for shutdown actions was
moved.
   http://osdir.com/ml/busybox/2003-08/msg00037.html

I've mostly been working with rev 1.6.1, but just downloaded 1.8.2.  The
init.c code looks the same.  Unfortunately, my 1.8.2 binary is
segfaulting, and I haven't figured out why.  I'm using ppc_7xx, although
I don't think that should matter.

I have been working with 1.6.1, and it seems that I can add this to
init.c after all processes have been SIGKILLed, and it does the job.
    system("/bin/umount -t ext2fs -a")

Thanks,
  Ned Kittlitz