Busybox make, modify my /dev/null on host

Martinb_ARM_NOMMU_KISSDVD martinb at zeelandnet.nl
Sun Feb 10 22:19:21 UTC 2008

First thing to say is that im building busybox with crosscompiling!
(building for i386 does not give you this problem)

After 2 weeks of the strangest things happening to my /dev/null I did find a
relation on this problem and the use of busybox (compiling)

if I do a:

"ls -l /dev/null" I should see:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 feb 10 22:11 /dev/null

but I see:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 feb 10 22:12 /dev/null

if I remove the /dev/null and recreate with:
mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3

its  ok until I do a "make busybox"

if I look at the console while building i see something like:

/somepart
AR      util-linux/lib.a
LINK    busybox_unstripped
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
Trying libraries: crypt m
/somepart

in debug its somewhere in :

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=util-linux
  /busybox-1.9.0/scripts/trylink "busybox_unstripped" "arm-uclinux-elf-gcc"
"-Wl,-elf2flt " " applets/built-in.o" " archival/lib.a
archival/libunarchive/lib.a  console-tools/lib.a  coreutils/lib.a
coreutils/libcoreutils/lib.a  debianutils/lib.a  e2fsprogs/lib.a
editors/lib.a  findutils/lib.a  init/lib.a  ipsvd/lib.a  libbb/lib.a
libpwdgrp/lib.a  loginutils/lib.a  miscutils/lib.a  modutils/lib.a
networking/lib.a  networking/libiproute/lib.a  networking/udhcp/lib.a
procps/lib.a  runit/lib.a  selinux/lib.a  shell/lib.a  sysklogd/lib.a
util-linux/lib.a  archival/built-in.o  archival/libunarchive/built-in.o
console-tools/built-in.o  coreutils/built-in.o
coreutils/libcoreutils/built-in.o  debianutils/built-in.o
e2fsprogs/built-in.o  editors/built-in.o  findutils/built-in.o
init/built-in.o  ipsvd/built-in.o  libbb/built-in.o  libpwdgrp/built-in.o
loginutils/built-in.o  miscutils/built-in.o  modutils/built-in.o
networking/built-in.o  networking/libiproute/built-in.o
networking/udhcp/built-in.o  procps/built-in.o  runit/built-in.o
selinux/built-in.o  shell/built-in.o  sysklogd/built-in.o
util-linux/built-in.o" " m crypt"
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
xargs: /dev/null: Bestand of map bestaat niet
Trying libraries: crypt m

but since I'm no coder I have no idea what to do
I know I need to remove  -Wl,--gc-sections  3 times in the script so I would
think its related to this mod.
But even if I don't make this mod my /dev/null is changed (without the
linking)
So if I keep the trylink original then my /dev/null is also gone (of course
the build failed, I only say this to tell the list its NOT the modification
I made to the trylink)

if some more skilled person can give a look to this I would appreciate
if there is no response I will give this a closer look (will take some
days/weeks for a person like me)