splash image during boot - new applet?

Michele Sanges michele.sanges at otomelara.it
Tue Feb 5 11:12:25 UTC 2008

Thanks all for your reply.

Il giorno lun, 04/02/2008 alle 11.39 -0500, Paul Fox ha scritto:
> how does a user-level daemon provide a nice "user experience"?  don't
> you still need kernel splash support in order to fill the screen
> until you get past init?

Paul, the daemon is started 'as soon as possible', immediately after the
end of the kernel loading, therefore at the beginning of the initial
ramdisk. The kernel messages are suppressed passing the 'quiet' option
to the kernel and, in the final step of any embedded project,
redirecting the consolle to the serial port (console=uart).

Il giorno lun, 04/02/2008 alle 18.08 +0100, Yann E. MORIN ha scritto:
> I would just add a note. Displaying an image as background is nice; having
> a progress bar is nice. But I would suggest the possibility to add a
> text field (empty by default?) which would be used to display boot process.
> Usage would be such as:
>
>   echo "42 Don't Panic!" >/tmp/splash.fifo
>
> would set progress to 42 percent, and display the message "Don't Panic!"
> in the text area. This would make a perfect splash applet!

Good idea Yann, I think is possible with little effort add the
possibility to write some messages.

Only for test, I have create an iso image of a little linuxbox, wich
show how the splash works.
It is made with the 2.6.23.1-42 kernel (fedora); it is not a live cd, so
it don't recognizes the hardware; for the netcard it has the e100.ko
module (intel).

The image is in the file section of this wiki page:

http://pigrecoq.wikidot.com/linuxsplash

You can burn it or launch it with qemu emulator (qemu -cdrom
linuxbox.iso).

login=root
psw=splash

If you want change the orrible "splash image" :-), mount the iso,
decompress the initial ramdisk and change
the /etc/linuxsplash/splash.ppm file and/or configure it with
the /etc/linuxsplash/linuxsplash.ini file. Recreate the initial ramdisk,
replace the old one and unmount the iso.

Best regards
Michele Sanges