Acceptable Characters for Passwords

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 5 03:13:36 UTC 2008

please fix your mail client to properly wrap long lines

On Monday 04 February 2008, Brian Verenkoff wrote:
> Is there a resource that lists all the acceptable characters allowed for a
> Busybox password.  I know there's a limitation of 8 characters, but I'm
> trying to define a password requirement for a test team and want to know
> what non-alphanumeric characters are or aren't supported.  I've searched
> via google but have not located such a resource.

the answer really is "read the source", but ...

the default password length in busybox-1.9.0 looks like 128 chars long in
libbb/bb_askpass.c.

whether there is a password restriction is up to you.  see the "weak password"
configuration option and the associated code in libbb/obscure.c.
-mike