[rfc] modutils replacement

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Fri Aug 8 08:59:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

I updated http://solidboot.com/~fabled/bb-modprobe-v2.diff
with:
- support for modprobe -r without modules and the -b flag
- modprobe to quote the command line arguments
- blacklist support is configurable again (it's ~150 bytes)
- some bug fixes and speed and size optimizations
  (got also patches from Vladimir, thanks!)

I'm now asking if the support for 2.2/2.4 modules should be
retained? Or could the patch be considered for inclusion
after polishing it up?

Also we initially talked with Vladimir that modutils-small
might be removed for now (he's apparently working on a yet
different approach, that would probably be smaller) since
my modutils with no extra options is about the same size as
modutils-small (and it still supports more stuff).

I still need to do more testing, but so far it is working
pretty well.

The speed is acceptable. But I still have some tweaks in mind,
but those go to parse_config.c so I'll post them separately
later when I've done them.

Cheers,
  Timo