udhcpc and lease time

DKT - Thomas Fransson tf at dktcomega.com
Thu Aug 7 15:58:27 UTC 2008

Hello

First of - if my general linux knowledge was to be compared to a baby I
would be about 2 days from fertilization, but hey it all starts
somewhere!

I have a problem / question regarding lease time using busybox / udhcpc
on an embedded arm9 platform.

The udchp version is 0.9.8

When I set the server lease to, for example 5 minutes, and then runs
udhcpc at first all looks fine according to wireshark. After 5 minutes
there is a renewal request -again this looks fine, but according to one
of my more knowledgeable friends this is not correct behaviour according
to RFC 2131.

According to this the renewal request should arrive after about 50% of
the lease period have expired, and then again after approx 75% expired
lease time.

Then why is my udhcpc client not sending these additional requests?

Anyone seen this before? - or am I in total noob mode?

Best Regards

Thomas Fransson