?????: modprobe woes

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 07:43:13 UTC 2008

> You still don't get it! I want a module-init-tools compatible! There is
> no point considering an alternate format for speeding things up, since
> I don't want one. I can make module-init-tools compatible modprobe that
> performs fast enough.
>

> And no, I DO NOT WANT modules.dep.bb.

My! Who pushes you to? I'm trying to explain the reasons of developing
modprobe-small and point out what may be shared.

> And as Tito pointed, you usually want to run depmod manually anyway. Your
> modprobe cannot know if new modules were inserted without time penalty.

No modprobe can do that, right? But both could recreate their config when
the system is idle via, say, inotify notification.

The only reason I can see for modprobe-small is if it's considerable smaller
> (as in kilobytes)

Yes, ten Kb for parsing I consider bloat. Don't you?

> and you have closed box

No. I just try to reduce external codebase dependencies of my system.

--
Vladimir