How to use telnetd

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:21:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Bernhard Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:05:00PM +0200, Rahul Jain wrote:
>>On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Denys Vlasenko

>>> Why you cannot compile busybox? Can I help? Currently there is
>>> a "How to build static busybox for i486-linux-uclibc" HOWTO
>>> linked from busybox.net start page:
>>>
>>> http://busybox.net/~vda/HOWTO/i486-linux-uclibc/HOWTO.txt
>>>
>>> and if you are willing to try it and then adapt it so that
>>> you end up with "How to build static busybox for armv5"
>>> document, you will produce a very useful HOWTO and also
>>> will have means to build busybox (and any other binaries
>>> you want) for your embedded box.
>
> cross-compiling really is dead-simple. The arch does not really matter,
> the procedere to call the compiler is all the same for every target,
> generally.

It's simple when you do it for Nth time.
But imagine what happens when a Linux newbie tries to do that
for the very first time.
It's useful to have a walkthrough for such cases.

We all will benefit if more people will learn to build their own
cross-compiling toolchains rather than using canned ones,
which frequently are unbelievably old.
--
vda