behavier of halt/reboot

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 3 18:36:17 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 11:30, walter harms wrote:
> hi list,
> we use sysvinit and found some strange behaver of busybox on our system.
>
> reboot -> causes reboot but init seems not to be informed and services does not get shutdown
> halt   -> no reaction
>
> The sysvinit commands work as expected.
>
> I guess this happens because of
>
>   if (ENABLE_INIT && !(flags & 4)) {
>
> the author expected the busybox init to be enabled.
> That is wrong in this case.

Fully agree, will remove "ENABLE_INIT && " there.

> even with ENABLE_INIT i still have strange problems.

Please:

1. Describe the problems.

2. Post strace logs of busybox's halt/reboot and sysvinit's halt/reboot:

strace -o halt.log -tt halt

(My personal view continues to be that halts/reboots by signalling init
is an idiotic design. killall5 -TERM; sleep N; killall5 -KILL
is a logical Unix way to do it. But then, early Unix gave us plenty of
badly designed things (sendmail, bind,...).

http://busybox.net/~vda/init_vs_runsv.html

But I do want to make busybox halt/reboot to work "compatibly".
Who knows, maybe *I'm* stupid and don't see the higher reason why
to use them).

--
vda