testing a single applet; "command" command [was: Re: svn commit: trunk/busybox/testsuite]

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:05:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:01:45AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>On Tuesday 29 April 2008 18:18, Bernhard Fischer wrote:

>I hope these semi-useless discussions "how to make runtest
>the prettiest shell script ever" will not last forever. :(

ack. ;)

>> I think that it was possible to invoke one test-series for exactly one
>> applet by doing:
>> $ ./runtest test.tests
>
>$ ./runtest test     [without ".tests"]
>
>It is still possible.

perfect. Thanks for the hint.

>> PS: reading test.tests, perhaps it would make sense to allow for
>> "command" to prevent using builtins? Just curious..
>
>Didn't understand you here...

test.tests contains this comment:
# Need to call 'busybox test', otherwise shell builtin is used

bash (fwiw) has a "command" which is documented as:
       command [-pVv] command [arg ...]
              Run command with args  suppressing  the  normal  shell function
              lookup.  Only builtin commands or commands found in the PATH are
              executed.  If the -p option is given, the search for command  is
              performed  using  a default value for PATH that is guaranteed to
              find all of the standard utilities.  If  either  the  -V or  -v
              option is supplied, a description of command is printed.  The -v
              option causes a single word indicating the command or file name
              used to invoke command to be displayed; the -V option produces a
              more verbose description.  If the -V or -v option  is supplied,
              the  exit  status  is  0 if command was found, and 1 if not.  If
              neither option is supplied and an error occurred or command can‐
              not  be found, the exit status is 127.  Otherwise, the exit sta‐
              tus of the command builtin is the exit status of command.

So, since it doesn't ignore builtin commands it wouldn't really help if
implemented 1:1 like bash does.

Anyway, it was just a thought.