Operation of more command

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Apr 27 13:21:58 UTC 2008

From:           	Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
To:             	busybox at busybox.net
Subject:        	Re: Operation of more command
Date sent:      	Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:12:53 +0200
Copies to:      	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>

> On Sunday 27 April 2008 12:25, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I'm the current developer of g4l, and it has used busybox before I took over,
> > and has been excellent. I have just noticed one issue involving the more
> > command. The g4l project is a bootcd for disk imaging, and doesn't make a
> > lot of use of the more command, but there are times when checking things
> > would make more a nice option, but both the busybox and even the one
> > from Fedora 8 seem to work just like cat.
>
> Please describe how are you using "more". What is the exact command?
>
> > In looking at the code of the
> > more.c, it appear it acts like cat under some situations.
>
> It does it on purpose:
>
>         /* Another popular pager, most, detects when stdout
>          * is not a tty and turns into cat. This makes sense. */
>         if (!isatty(STDOUT_FILENO))
>                 return bb_cat(argv);
>
> This is needed to make e.g. "man <cmd> | sed ... >file"
> work (man internally starts more, or another $PAGER).

cat scriptfile | more
dmesg | more

Using the same thing within a Fedora machine works fine with the more
lines.

With the morex program, it shows the 20 lines pauses and then continues.

> --
> vda

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 5,269,727.070797 | EINSTEIN 1,573,038.609732 | ROSETTA
480,077.992597