getty 64 char limit per line?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:22:24 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008 13:58, Shane Volpe wrote:
> I think this is better managed through the bug tracker so I have
> submitted a bug, I have added additional detail in the bug report,
> please let me know if you need any other information:
> http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=3114

Thanks. This is better (more details).

======================================
I have noticed that if you exceed 64 characters on a serial login console
that when you go to backspace (delete characters using the backspace key
or moving back characters using the left arrow key) and hit the 64 character
mark that the cursor automatically jumps up one line.
Example: (using 10 characters instead of 64 to save space)

Grabbed from console, (% represents cursor location):

root at localhost:/$
root at localhost:/$ cp /homme/root/.ssh/known_hosts_hosts . %

ok so I have a typo homme and want to backspace (using left arrow key) and fix it:

Right before the line jump (11 characters from the left):
root at localhost:/$
root at localhost:/$ cp /homme/r%oot/.ssh/known_hosts_hosts .

Now I hit the left arrow key one more time:
root at localhost:/$ %
root at localhost:/$ cp /homme/r%oot/.ssh/known_hosts_hosts .
and the cursor is now on the line above the command.
The interesting thing is it is only displayed on that
line but behaves as if it is still on the line below.
=================================

This can be a bug in line edititng (in busybox), or a bug
in terminal emulator you are using (not in busybox).

Let's try to determine that. I assume you are using ash
(substitute hush/msh as needed).

Run it under strace using "strace -o strace.log ash".

You will get ash prompt. Type long command, for example

exit; sdfgkjsdkfjskdjgfksjdfgkljslkgjlskjglskjgfkljsdgk

and then press backspace as you described
until bug manifests itself.

After that, immediately exit straced ash. In above example
just pressing Enter will do.

Then send copy-pasted screen text and resulting strace.log
to the list.
--
vda