firmware loading (wlan rt73.bin) error

Manuel Sahm ManuelSahm at freenet.de
Wed Apr 23 16:51:16 UTC 2008

Hello,

I try to use a wlan stick with an RaLink rt73 chipset inside.

I load the rt73usb.ko kernel module and then I plug the USB WLAN Stick (ASUS
WL167G)

After that I see the wlan0 by typing ifconfig -a.

If I want to set an ip address a firmware file should be loaded:

Ifconfig wlan0 172.168.10.90

This fails with the error: firmware-request failed rt73.bin

I uses kernel 2.6.25 and busybox version 1.9.1 with mdev (Option firmware

The platform is an ARM9 Atmel AT91SAM9260

I put this file rt73.bin in folder /lib/firmware

What could be the problem.?

Thank you very very much.

Best regards