[patch] fbsplash

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 21:43:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 15:28, Michele Sanges wrote:
> I view only two pratical applications of fbsplash.
>
> The first one is to show a ppm image; fbsplash in this case isn't
> daemonized as shows above, and return immediately.
>
> The second one is during the boot phase of our embedded device, to
> distract the operator and give the impression of a shorter boot
> time :-) . In this case fbsplash must be placed in the background.

I imagine other uses where people want a progress bar,
not necessarily at boot. When a saved game loads, or whatever.

> I really do not find very useful send messages from stdin

It may be more convenient because this way you do not need
to create a named pipe:

{
echo 25
echo 50
echo 75
echo 100
} | fbsplash ...

> for seeing the
> progress bar to move, so I think it would be better if fbsplash could
> demonize himself, without remove freedom to anyone.

This exactly removes freedom: now whoever wants fbsplash to NOT
daemonize... how they can achieve that? That's not trivial at all.

> Is there such tool in busybox? Is this the start_stop_daemon applet?

Probably (I'm not using start_stop_daemon). But if there is not,
it's a very simple program to write.

If I were in your shoes, though, I'd attacked the "why in hell nash
can't daemonize a process?" problem instead.
--
vda