[patch] fbsplash

Michele Sanges michele.sanges at otomelara.it
Fri Apr 4 09:27:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

while fbsplash works well in root fs, it doesn't work when started from
an initrd. It exhibits this behavior:

1. the nash shell, used in initrd, can't start the applet in background;
it blocks forever the loading process.

==> I added back the code to fork the process (if this can be
acceptable).

2. once started with the above fork code, if I want to redirect the
messages from the console to the uart, passing to the kernel the option
'console=uart', it doesn't receive the commands from the fifo.

==> I substitute the file manipulation library functions (fopen,
fgetline, fclose..) with the system one (open, read, close..) and thus
it works.

Il giorno ven, 28/03/2008 alle 09.06 -0400, Paul Fox ha scritto:
> is the proper solution simply to open it twice, once for reading,
> and once for writing?  this guarantees a writer (which will never
> write anything).

Following the suggestion of Paul, now I open the fifo twice to use the
opportunity to make the read blocking. After reading, the buffer is
scanned in order to take the last command line.
If the commands comes from the stdin, when the function returns 0 it
assumes that has reached the EOF and it exits.

Please, can you consider the attached patch?

Thanks.
Michele