init and inetd

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:44:48 UTC 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 17:25, rrodriguez at astrocorp.com wrote:
> I think init keeps killing inetd when i start inetd from init like so
>
> ::respawn:/usr/sbin/inetd
>
> inetd continually exits and starts
>
> daemon.info init: init: process '/usr/sbin/inetd' (pid 843) exited. Scheduling it for restart.

inetd backgrounded itself. In Unix world it looks like suicide
to inetd's parent.

> daemon.info init: init: starting pid 1043, tty '': '/usr/sbin/inetd'
> daemon.info init: init: process '/usr/sbin/inetd' (pid 1043) exited. Scheduling it for restart.
> daemon.info init: init: starting pid 1342, tty '': '/usr/sbin/inetd'
> etc..
>
> but when i start inetd from init this way
>
> ::once:/usr/sbin/inetd
>
> it runs fine.
>
> I need inetd to restart if it dies. I'm not sure why this is happening
> i have tried many different things to narrow down the problem. including
> using a different inetd package not included in busybox. i still get the
> problem which makes me think it is an init bug?
>
> I am using busybox 1.6.1 on x86
>
> if anyone could point me in the right direction to resolving this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

$ ./busybox inetd --help
BusyBox v1.8.0.svn (2007-09-28 11:08:27 IST) multi-call binary

Usage: inetd [-f] [-q len] [conf]

Listen for network connections and launch programs

        -f      Run in foreground          <============================= YOU NEED THIS
        -q N    Set the size of the socket listen queue to N
                (default: 128)

--
vda