telnetd doesn't provide REMOTEHOST environment variable?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Sep 17 19:35:33 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, glhs329 at gmail.com wrote:
> I went looking for "REMOTEHOST" because that's what I'm used to
> getting on various Linux systems I use.

*shrug* i dont think there's any telnet standard we could refer to here

> Obviously REMOTE_ADDR would be fine, but I don't see it, either.

i wasnt sure if it was a matter of you not seeing the var or if REMOTEHOST is
supposed to be set to the reverse dns ...

> In fact, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where telnetd is
> setting any environment variables.
>
> Could this be done in some other source file? I'm currently using BB
> v1.0, but I also browsed the latest telnetd.c in the repository and
> still don't see anything.

hrm, no idea where i was looking ... when i wrote that e-mail, i was looking
at some telnet code that setup envvars like REMOTE_ADDR, but clearly that
wasnt telnet code in busybox

looks like env setup is left up to the reader (and the shell) to handle
-mike