Making DO_POSIX_CP configurable

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:10:04 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 12:34, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> Hi Denys!
>
> Thanks for introducing a special case for block/character devices. :) In
> a way, you did more than I requested, in another you did not, because
> DO_POSIX_CP still is not configurable the way I thought it was obviously
> inquired by me. But as so often, questions need to be asked more
> precisely, so I am amending this: I would like the flag to be
> configurable via (menu)config, so I do not have to patch the source code
> '#define'. It would make sense for environments like ours. Security is
> less of an issue on a single-user system, so there is no problem in
> switching on classical POSIX-ly behaviour (which is still like this in
> Coreutils, by the way) globally.

I don't know. Way too many CONFIGs are bad too.

CONFIG_xxx is typically used when there are big
population of users which wants it on, and another big
population which wants it off, and neither is "right"
or "wrong", they just need different functionality.

I'm not sure there are users which really need
"cp -r dir1 dir2" to follow pre-existing dir2/dir1/xxx
symlinks. That is just weird usage.
--
vda