Making DO_POSIX_CP configurable

Alexander Kriegisch Alexander at Kriegisch.name
Mon Sep 10 23:19:04 UTC 2007

In SVN rev. #18119 [1] the default behaviour of 'cp' was changed by
Denis in order to improve security and also to save a few bytes. This
leads to problems in our application scenario here: We work on a
mipsel-based router platform equipped with a TFFS (tiny flash
filesystem) showing several "files" as character devices. Copying new
contents over existing files results in the character devices being
unlinked and regular files being created instead, which is a problem
because they are not saved back into the flash memory, thus the changes
are not persistent. We have to use 'cat' in order to fix this.

Denis, would you please consider making the hard-coded value of
DO_POSIX_CP configurable? I could provide a patch, if needed, but it
should be pretty straightforward and will probably be cleaner if you do
it yourself. This way the default would still be the one you prefer and
our firmware mod using a newer BB version than the original one would
still work if we just changed this config option.

[1] http://busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=18119&view=rev

--
Alexander Kriegisch