inetd and telnetd problem

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:45:54 UTC 2007

Dear Philipp,
Thanks for your suggestion. I enabled to support standalone telnetd in
busybox and add "-i" in inetd.conf as:

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd -i

or even

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd -i -l /bin/ash

When I telnet the board from a PC, it shows:
# telnet 192.168.0.4 (board IP)
Trying 192.168.0.4...
connected to 192.168.0.4.
Escape character is '^]'

Then the cursor stops and there is no login interface. If I kill the
"telnetd -i" process from the board, then the following part shows as:
Connection closed by foreign host.

It is still not correct. But it seems that the board could react the telnet
command from outside. How can it show the login interface?

Thanks for your telling.

BR
Ming

>From: Philipp Wehrheim <01flipstar at web.de>
>To: Ming Liu <eemingliu at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: inetd and telnetd problem
>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:38:38 +0200
>
>Hey,
>
>Am Donnerstag, den 18.10.2007, 15:12 +0000 schrieb Ming Liu:
> > Dear all,
> > I met a problem on inted and telnetd. When I boot the linux system and
> > inted looks running there. However it does not provide the connection
for
> > "telnet" or "http" from other clients. For example if I telnet from a
PC to
> > my board, it shows:
> >
> > # telnet 192.168.0.4 (board IP)
> > Trying 192.168.0.4...
> > connected to 192.168.0.4.
> > Escape character is '^]'
> > connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > My board is ppc405 cpu on Xilinx ML403 board. In the /etc/service,
there
> > are such lines
> >
> > telnet 23/tcp
> > www    80/tcp    http
> > www    80/udp
> >
> > and in /etc/inetd.conf, there are
> >
> > telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd
> > http stream tcp nowait www /usr/sbin/httpd httpd -h /home/www
> >
> > When I telnet from a PC, it shows "connection closed by foreign host".
And