inetd and telnetd problem

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:12:57 UTC 2007

Dear all,
I met a problem on inted and telnetd. When I boot the linux system and
inted looks running there. However it does not provide the connection for
"telnet" or "http" from other clients. For example if I telnet from a PC to
my board, it shows:

# telnet 192.168.0.4 (board IP)
Trying 192.168.0.4...
connected to 192.168.0.4.
Escape character is '^]'
connection closed by foreign host.

My board is ppc405 cpu on Xilinx ML403 board. In the /etc/service, there
are such lines

telnet 23/tcp
www    80/tcp    http
www    80/udp

and in /etc/inetd.conf, there are

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd
http stream tcp nowait www /usr/sbin/httpd httpd -h /home/www

When I telnet from a PC, it shows "connection closed by foreign host". And
if I http my board with a browser, it also cannot connect to host
192.168.0.4. For httpd, if I run it independently, the browser could
connect the host successfully and get the webpage. However for telnetd, it
doesn't work if I run it seperately.

I have tried both busybox-1.7.2 and 1.2.0 versions, the results are the
same. What's the problem? I will appreciate so much if you can give me some
hint. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Ming